2. Do you also have artistic or creative tendencies?
3. Are you outgoing and willing to mix with people from different countries?
4. Are you an ELSA member?
5. Are you able to travel within the Schengen zone?
6. Are you aged 18 – 25?
7. Will your exams be finished by the first week of June?
If you are able to answer yes to at least FOUR of these questions, you may be interested in applying to participate in the following youth project.
ECO ART FOR A BETTER WORLD
Dates: Saturday 2nd – Sunday 10th June 2012
Place: Rezekne, Latvia
Partners (each group will send 5 people) –
- Ecotourism association ECOLAND – LATVIA
- Joint associazione di promozione sociale – ITALY
- Tekkekoy Ilce Milli Egitim Mudurluru – TURKEY
- Eurocircle – FRANCE
- English Law Students’ Association – UK
Summary of the project:
The main idea behind the Youth Exchange “Eco Art For a Better World” is the promotion of harmonious life with the environment among young people coming from countries from different parts of Europe. The group will be based in the country side near Rezekne. They will spend 9 days exploring and exchanging ideas about the topics of sustainable development and environmental protection, promoting common international youth initiatives protecting the environment. Young people will work in 3 Eco art groups: Eco Theatre, Eco Visual arts and Eco Crafts. From natural artwork to theatre, these workshops are designed to deepen the connection to nature and ourselves in a creative way. The problem of pollution, garbage waste and global warming are nowadays more and more real.
The exchange will comprise 25 young people (18 -25) from Latvia, UK, Italy, Turkey and France to discuss and understand better the topic and campaign for a change and ecological reverse.
At the end of the project, results of the workshops (flyers, posters, videos etcs) will be presented / performed to a city audience in Riga, the capital.
ELSA will send 5 participants. Any selected participant will be partly subsidised through an EU grant attained via the Youth in Action (YiA) Programme. YiA aims to inspire a sense of active European citizenship, solidarity and tolerance among young Europeans and to involve them in shaping the Union’s future. It promotes mobility within and beyond the EU’s borders, non-formal learning and intercultural dialogue by means of projects and exchanges set up and run by young people themselves.
- Ms Gulsen Akyol (Kingston)
- Mr Kireth Kalirai (King’s College)
- Ms Farzana Khanom (King’s College)
- Ms Sakina Jaffer (Kingston)
1 PLACE AVAILABLE
- 15 euros payable in Latvia to cover the return journey from Riga to Rezekne (about 4 hours each way!!)
- You must pay for your return flight to Riga. Wizzair /AirBaltic are currently the cheapest fare. After the project, ELSA will be able to claim a 160 euros grant towards the travel cost. This will be reimbursed to you.
- All other costs during your stay are covered but you should bring some personal spending money.
You do not have to pay for meals, accommodation in Rezekne (log cabin) or accommodation in Riga (city centre hostel).
You will stay in traditional wooden houses in a forest adjacent to a lake. Bring your swimming costumes and towels. The rooms are mostly, twins and triples but you will share with people of the same sex. Meals will be cooked for you in the main house. All activities during the first week will take place in this location. The final two days will be spent in the capital Riga (almost 4 hours by bus). In Riga you will stay in the city centre in a youth hostel.
If you are interested in the above project AND you are able to travel to Latvia in June (check your exam schedule!), please send an Excpression of Interest / Application to: email@example.com. Remember to put “Eco Art for a Better World” in the subject heading.
All applications / Expressions of Interest must answer all the following questions.
1. sex (male / female)
2. First Name, Last or Family Name
3. Date of Birth (dd/mm/yyyy)
4. Current age
5. University and current level of education (postgrad / undergrad?)
6. Mobile number
7. Citizenship / Nationality (i.e. which passport / travel document will you use to travel to Latvia?)
8. Do you need a visa to travel to Latvia (Latvia is in the Schengen zone, EU citizens and some other countries do not need visas)
9. Are you a current ELSA member or alumnus? (y/n) Please provide card number, if applicable.
10. Are you red listed for failing to attend other ELSA events or for non payment of fees? (y/n)
11. Have you participated in any other ELSA events, trips or summer projects. If yes, please list.
12. Which particular skills can you bring to Eco Art for a Better World?
13. Which other environmental activities have you been involved in?
14. What size t-shirt do you wear (s,m,l,xl)?
Please write few sentences about why you are applying for this particular project and what you hope to gain from it.