Amnesty International is currently inviting applications for a FREE short course in Human Rights: The Right to Freedom of Expression. This short course will equip you with the knowledge to understand and claim your right to freedom of expression, and the skills and confidence to take action to defend it.
The main benefit is learning about human rights and how to get involved from Amnesty International. This is Amnesty International’s first ever massive open online course (MOOC) on human rights and will focus on freedom of expression. In the course, participants will gain the skills and knowledge to take action to defend the right to freedom of expression, association and assembly. They will connect with participants from across the world and learn from activists on the front line of human rights defence. They will also interact with international facilitators drawn from the diversity of the human rights movement, including India, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Norway, South Africa, UK, and the USA. Participants will explore human rights through the cases of individuals at risk and discover what activism looks like in practice, bridging the gap between theory and the real world application of the right to freedom of expression.
This MOOC will run for 3 weeks from Tuesday 17 November 2015. Like all online courses, you may log in at your own convenience. It is envisioned that you will spent between 3 – 5 hours each week.
In this course you will:
- discover how actions are developed to defend people against human rights violations.
- challenged to think critically and devise effective actions to defend the human rights of others.
- able to adapt the human rights of freedom of expression, association and assembly to real life situations and come face-to-face with human rights activists on the front line of human rights defense.
What you’ll learn
- Knowledge of Freedom of Expression as a human right.
- Ability to critically assess information related to Freedom of Expression.
- Skills and confidence to take action to defend Freedom of Expression.
Everyone is eligible to participate in the course as long as they have internet access.